Monday, January 13, 2014

Quest

Learning is about elevating your thoughts, building upon your experiences, and discovering new perspectives. Quest English taught me how to think. As a student, I was challenged to change my opinions and to look at the world in a way that I had never discovered. As a class, we made broad inferences that became conclusions with evidence beyond the textbook. That is what Quest is; thinking, opinions, and conclusions.

Whether we were reading books based on different cultures such as Things Fall Apart, or a the classic book the Lord of the Flies (which looked in on not taking anything for granted: even blueberries) we had deep discussions not on what the author was meaning or on comprehension, but on what we liked, how it relates to life. I guess Quest is life too.

I have identified so much about myself and about what I want in my life in Quest English. I have been surrounded by people who even if they do not want to, support me and have my back in anything that I want to accomplish. The people in this class have pushed me in the right direction. I was out of my comfort zone the majority of time. Especially when I first started as an eighth grader. I walked into my first class of the day overwhelmed and nervous to be with this group of people. I sat down and waited for class to start. We began discussing fear. The majority of class, I had NO idea what was going on. I walked out of class wondering "does everybody feel like this too?" After the first quarter, I was ecstatic the moment that I walked into English. The people understood me. I soon learned how to look at things in a way that I could almost perfectly express my thoughts. I thought deeper. This class wasn't a class about grammar or about "what does the author mean?" it was about making us better people, students, and thinkers.

I am so grateful that I was invited to experience Quest. Honestly, I can say that I will miss this class and the people that are in it. I will miss my test free classes led by McCallum. But, because of determinism, I am here to write a semi-formal blog that I would have had no idea how to write if I would not have been in this class. I started blogging in fourth grade but I don't think that really counts. From my first blog that I wrote on Fear, to my 20th which I am writing about Quest, I have come so far as a writer. I think deeper now and I know how to look at something from a different perspective. After Quest, I am changed. Changed in a good way that is.

Thank you for helping me discover who I am, what I am, and the difference that I make in the world. I have become more of myself the past two years. Quest has given me opportunities I wouldn't have been given if I was still an Enriched English student. I probably wouldn't be an editor for The Hoofprint, and quite frankly, I probably wouldn't be apart of newspaper. Because of Quest, I have met people that I can trust with nearly anything. So thank you for all of the experiences that Quest has given me, and taught me.

No comments:

Post a Comment