Sunday, October 30, 2016

The Army: an Influential Character Builder

During my Junior year of high school, I made the decision to enlist in the Minnesota Army National Guard. Although it was one of the most difficult decisions I've ever made, the benefits it's reaped have been incredible thus far. Now, I have a network of individuals I can rely on, a background of "real-world" experiences, and my first real commitment to something bigger than I ever will be.

After a short summer break of three days, I departed for Oklahoma. Boundless tears were shed, beginning the night before as this was the first time I was going to leave home for a period of time longer than a week. I vividly remember balling my eyes out as I approached the armory I reported to, on the plane ride to Fort Sill, and even during the first three weeks I was there. Much to my expectation, things were not handed to anyone there; including bedding which I didn't receive until the fourth day I was there.

Slowly but surely, I gained some respect from my superiors. It took until the first PT test, which I blew out of the water, to be treated like a normal person. As I began to build confidence in my abilities as a soldier, my leadership qualities were recognized and I was assigned Assistant Platoon Guide of the "3rd Platoon Slayers". Suddenly, my experience went from something I was unsure of to something I absolutely loved. I continued to succeed in my shot at the Basic Rife Marksmanship Course, in Land Navigation (I even taught a class to my peers about it), in PT (I won High PT score of the cycle with 73 push-ups, 83 sit-ups, and a 13:54 minute 2 mile run), and in leadership aspects. I met unforgettable people that I miss dearly (and skype nearly once a week) and find myself a little bit lost without now that I am home.

As I neared the end of my training, I realized I didn't really want to go home. I had found a place that I truly loved. Despite the hardships I had, including throwing up after the gas chamber, missing my family immensely, and facing the most intense schedule I've ever experienced, I ended up loving it and not regretting a single second of it.







No comments:

Post a Comment